Tanna Farms Virgin Coconut Oil FAQs
What process do you use to create your extra virgin coconut oil?
THE DO’S OF MAKING 100% NATURAL COCONUT OIL: We use the Direct Micro Expelling (DME) method of producing virgin coconut oil, developed by Kokonut Pacific. That means our product is natural, raw and handmade in small batches, close to the coconut trees we source from. That means we employ people in the local community. DME is a self-fuelling process that uses coconut shell and husk as fuel, so we have a 100% renewable and sustainable energy source. You’ll know it’s good because it smells like fresh coconuts and tastes like paradise.
AND THE DON’TS: In contrast, some companies use copra – dried coconut kernel – as their start point and produce a crude coconut oil that has to be refined, bleached and deodorised (RBD) to be edible. The oils might be made from old nuts, transported far from their source to be produced at high temperatures or with chemicals. Local communities are seldom employed in the process. Some tell-tale signs of a poor oil are a roasted nutty odour, or no odour at all.
We suggest you take a good look at the label when you buy, to make sure you’re getting the good stuff.
How can I use coconut oil?
The question should really be, how can’t I? Coconut oil has a vast amount of uses, from creating delicious food to ensuring luscious skin. We’ve had to limit ourselves to our top picks:
- In the kitchen, to create delicious food infused with the taste of paradise. With a high smoke point, coconut oil is great for stir-frys, but we also use it as a replacement for butter in baking, and in our fruit smoothies
- As a massage oil, to soothe tired muscles
- As a moisturiser, to hydrate dry and rough skin
- As a makeup remover, to take off everything from lipstick to mascara, while cleaning and moisturising
- As a lip balm to hydrate and protect lips
- As a safe way to kill and remove lice
- As a great body scrub, by mixing with sugar, or cinnamon and oatmeal
- To ease the symptoms of dandruff, by massaging into the scalp
- To nurture a shiny coat in your pet, while also improving their breath and easing their joints
- As a natural aftershave
How long can I keep my Coconut Oil?
Virgin coconut oil is a highly stable product, with a two year shelf life.
Why does my coconut oil change consistency?
Coconut oil will become a liquid at temperatures above 26degC. As it cools it begins to solidify and will be hard at about 24degC and under.
Why should I only buy extra virgin coconut oil?
This is a really important question because the cheapest coconut oil is made from the dried flesh of coconuts, which needs to be industrially refined, bleached and deodorised – No Thanks!
Virgin coconut oil, which is the only oil Tanna Farms will make, is from fresh coconuts from naturally organic farms. Once at our mill, they go through the same process as cold pressed olive oil, so you taste the very best of our paradise in every jar. We create our organic virgin coconut oil from the first-press, with any residual oil used for soaps rather than being re-pressed.
Why do we package in glass?
We package our naturally organic coconut oil in glass to ensure all you are tasting is the very best of our Pacific paradise.
How far does the coconut oil need to travel to get to me?
Vanuatu is the closest Pacific Island to New Zealand, so it’s a short journey from our trees to your kitchen.